Subject: Relative performance of I/O cards [Re: NetBsd as A File Server]
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@cm-24-142-94-15.cableco-op.ispchannel.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/08/2000 03:55:11
>Well, I told you it would be difficult to find, didn't I? ;-)  I
>have the impression that in certain areas it's also difficult to
>find a vendor willing to sell these cards in smaller quantities.  I
>am lucky enough to have a vendor here in Norway who can do that.
>I've not asked them whether they ship internationally.  Their web
>site is www.amdata.no.  I have no association with them other than
>as a happy customer.

Can someone suggest a source in the Bay Area that will deal in
qty.1 or qty. 5 orders?  Or a mailorder house?

Anyone got performance numbers _measured on NetBSD_ on large strings
of SCSI drives, comparing the different controllers we support?

BTW, I think this would be *great* information to put on the NetBSD
Web page.  A list of what acutally works well and with best
performance (or price/performance or whatever).  That's not the info
as what's supported; I'd love to see it as a separate list.

Performance on 66MHz and 64-bit card would be great too, since i386
motherboards with those are starting to hit the commodity (as opposed
to multi-CPU Xeon) market.  I'd contribute whatever I could, but the
only 64-bit card I've ever used was a prototype we built at Stanford.

All I can offer is: for 100Mbit ethernet cards, everyone
says the Intel Pro/100+ is best, but its far from cheapest.