Subject: Re: Better than..
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschmeyer@unixpros.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2000 12:56:21
Personally, I am finding this whole discussion on "betterness" very
interesting, particularly since I have been starting to wonder whether on=
e of
the other BSDs might be "better than" NetBSD.

Some background, I've been running NetBSD for a bit over two years and ha=
ve
been a strong supporter. Recently, though, I've been having a devil of a =
time
getting a decent SCSI setup on a P60 that I am configuring to replace my =
home
server/router (486-66 running NetBSD 1.3.3).

Initially, I was trying to use an Adaptec 1542 (both -A and -CF), but kep=
running into what appeared to be DMA problems. Next, I moved to a PCI-bus
NCR53C810A-based host adapter. This card kept failing the probe with a "C=
ACHE
TEST FAILED"... "CACHE INCORRECTLY CONFIGURED".

Since no one offered any suggestions, I decided to try running the OpenBS=
and FreeBSD installers to see what they had to say about the card and the
attached drive.

First, OpenBSD... saw the card, saw the drive, seemed to work fine.

Next, FreeBSD... saw the card, saw the drive, seemed to work fine.

At this point, I decided to try one last NetBSD boot, just to see what wo=
uld
happen... saw the card, saw the drive, seemed to work fine.

Frankly, at this point, I am confused... it would appear that something i=
n the
OpenBSD or FreeBSD kernel was able to clear the problem and reset somethi=
ng to
a correct value. I figure I have two options:

1) Assume everything is fine and go on with NetBSD 1.4.1.

2) Ditch NetBSD in favor of Open- or Free-.

Why give up NetBSD? Because I am left with the nagging feeling that the o=
ther
BSDs "know more" about my hardware and are able to deal with it correctly=
=2E For
obvious reasons, this has shaken my confidence in NetBSD.

OTOH, perhaps there is nothing wrong, but then I wish someone would tell =
me
what happened.

--
John Ruschmeyer=09=09=09=09jruschmeyer@unixpros.com