Subject: Re: mux mouse? (was Re: Intellimouse problems)
To: None <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Urban Boquist <boquist@crt.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2000 12:07:24

Ken> On a slightly related topic, I've been unable to figure out how
Ken> to use the "mux"ed pointing devices.  I'd like to use my Logitech
Ken> USB mouse if available or the track point (IBM) or accupoint
Ken> (Toshiba) on the keyboard of my laptops if not, without changing
Ken> /etc/XF86Config.  Or even both at the same time (in a similar
Ken> manner you use multiple pointin devices on Windows or Macintosh).
Ken> It would also be cool if I could hot-plug the USB mouse and use
Ken> it without rebooting.  I think mux is for this kind of purpose,
Ken> but I can't figure out how.

No problem, I use it like that all the time. This is from my kernel config:

pms*		at pckbc?		# PS/2 mouse for wsmouse
wsmouse*	at pms? mux 0

ums*	at uhub? port ? configuration ? interface ?
wsmouse*	at ums? mux 0

pseudo-device	wsmux		2

You may need to change "pms" depending on your laptop.

Then, in /etc/XF86Config, in the Pointer section:

	Protocol	"Wsmouse"
	Device		"/dev/wsmouse"

You can also get a serial mouse to work "at the same time" as the
others by using the "Xinput" XFree86 method.

Good luck,

        -- Urban

P.S. I actually have one small problem with using a wheel mouse
together with a two-button only mouse. The options:

	ZAxisMapping	4 5
	Emulate3Buttons

does not seem to work both at the same time...