Subject: Re: Intellimouse problems
To: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2000 20:03:10
I remember having a little trouble.  My mouse is an MS IntelliMouse, on a
PS/2 port.

 * First: It has a middle wheel-button.  Under the X server with 1.4+, the
   wheel-button works if you configure it correctly (at least it does for
   me) so you can & should disable Emulate3Button.

   (Under 1.3, I couldn't get the wheel-button to be recognized and had to
    use Emulate3Button.)

 * Second: In my current XF86COnfig "Pointer" section:

     Protocol    "wsmouse"
     Device      "/dev/wsmouse0"
     ZAxisMapping 4 5

   (Nothing else in that section, save comments.)

 * Third: In my kernel config, I have ``pmsi* at pckbc?'' enabled, and
   ``wsmouse at pmsi?''

I think that that's about all.  Compile a new kernel and reboot if needed,
and run ``startx''.  If that doesn't work, I can email my kernel config
and XF86Config for you to compare against yours.  (Obviously, you don't
want to use my XF86Config, since if the monitor frequencies are wrong for
you, it could conceivably toast your monitor...)

(Aside: Why is it that monitors, expensive critters that they are, don't
have enough sense to do something safe when their frequencies are
exceeded?  Preferably, they should display a ROM'ed warning message and
ignore the out-of-parameter video signal.  One presumes that there is a
good technical reason why this can't be done, but one never hears
it---one only hears how bad it is to give a monitor something that it
can't handle.)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com