Subject: -current won't boot on weird laptop
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/03/2000 12:17:04
Synopsis:  I'm trying to update my mom's NetBSD box.  It's a Solo 2300.  It's
been running NetBSD since about 1.2, and is currently on a horrible hybrid
of 1.4_ALPHA and 1.4.  I was trying to load -current.

I have a CD of 1.4L that works on a number of machines.  I've got 1.4P boot
floppies and CD's.  All are being built on my thinkpad.  They all work on the
Thinkpad, and on anything else.

Behavior:

INSTALL kernel:  Gets to "root filesystem type is ffs" (referring to the
memory filesystem), then sits there.  ramdisk.fs has been double-checked, and
does contain /dev.

Any other kernel:  Finishes spinny-cursor stuff, and hard-resets machine.

The machine boots just fine from my 1.4 CD.  Indeed, once I nuked the ELF
stuff in /usr/lib, it boots just fine from a 1.4 kernel on the hard drive.

I'm probably just not gonna be able to get this today, but any cool ideas
would be very much appreciated; if I can get one kernel that works, I can
probably have the whole machine up and running in no time.  ;-)

-s