Subject: Re: netboot with fxp
To: Christian E. Hopps <chopps@merit.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/02/2000 13:34:08
Christian E. Hopps writes:

> I got an fxp recently that has a net boot option, and I didn't even ask
> for it :)
>
> Anyway I successfully got it to tfp a 64k verison of stand/netboot but
> nothing happens after, it just sits there.

The stand/netboot.rom is an actual expansion ROM image, not an executable.
What binary format does this FXP boot option support?  If it just loads
a file and sets it up as an expansion ROM, then yes netboot.rom should
work.  It is probably expecting it in some other format, and is jumping to
the wrong entry  point, and hanging.  If this is the 'PXE' feature, I would
think it is documented somewhere.. :-)  (Intel web site, etc)

> I have no idea if it was ok to specify 64k for the rom size in
> stand/netboot but it doesn't build otherwise.

Yes, this repeatedly confuses me, and I have gotten it to work before.
I always manage to forget that the only way to build a 32K ROM is by
commenting out the 'CREAD' support.  Why this isn't the default, I don't
know.  I guess I need to file a PR on it. :)

> Am I going about this all wrong?  Is stand/netboot intended to be used
> this way?  What do I need to do to make this work?

I think you need to find out more on the netboot feature of your card.
If it is PXE you need to dig up some documenation and go from there.
Presumably it would be possible to get stand/netboot to execute correctly
under the PXE environment.  Otherwise, you would in theory need to get
the NetBSD kernel to be recognized and loaded correctly by the boot rom.

IMHO it is better to have the PXE (or whatever it is) ROM load a second
stage booter (netboot perhaps) that then loads the kernel, that way there
are minimal changes required. (e.g. just adding PXE signatures or something
to netboot)

For me netbooting is an interesting topic.  I'm typing this on an old
486 that I netbooted in my Living Room.. :-)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.