Subject: sysinst problem in 1.4.2_ALPHA (?)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@uswest.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/30/1999 22:56:02
Hello,

I just got done converting a 1.2.1 system to 1.4.2_ALPHA. During the
installation process sysinst reported the geometery of my wd0 disk
as having 988 cylinders when it has 989 (reported by "dmesg" and the
label on the disk itself). I selected the option to manually specify
the geometery, and the default value for the cylinders was 989!

It appears that sysinst is getting confused during installation when
it reported 988 cylinders. Anyone else seen this?

If I remember correctly, if my disk says it has 989 cylinders, 15 heads
and 56 sectors, then that means I can access cylinders [0..988], heads
[0..14], and sectors [1..56], right??

Brian
bstark@uswest.net