Subject: verrry slow ethernet
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Cliff Crawford <cjc26@cornell.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/30/1999 20:24:16
Hello,
I have two ethernet cards, an ISA NE2000+ and a PCI RealTek 8029 (NE2000
compatible).  I'm running 1.4.1, and am connected via RoadRunner (i.e.
configured by dhcp).  I'm getting intermittent problems with either
one--basically some web and ftp sites will be extremely slow (like, 100
bytes a second) while others will load just fine.  For example, from
ftp.eecs.umich.edu I can get a transfer rate of about 80k/s, while
ftp.gnu.org frequently stalls out while downloading anything (if I can
get that far--it takes about ten minutes just to display the motd).  Also,
the POP server and news server which I usually use are on the same subnet,
but fetchmail takes something like five minutes to download three
messages, then times out, while I can read newsgroups just fine.  I know
this is a problem with my NetBSD setup and not with RoadRunner because
when I reboot the machine into FreeBSD everything works just fine.

I included the relevant output from dmesg and ifconfig below.  Does
anyone have any idea what's going wrong?

ne2 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: RealTek 8029 Ethernet
ne2: 10base2, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, auto, default auto
ne2: Ethernet address 52:54:00:ed:62:f5
ne2: interrupting at irq 11

ne1 at isa0 port 0x300-0x31f irq 10
ne1: NE2000 Ethernet
ne1: Ethernet address 00:80:29:ed:ec:30

ne2: flags=8822<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 52:54:00:ed:62:f5
        media: Ethernet autoselect (10base2)
ne1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:80:29:ed:ec:30
        media: Ethernet manual

cliff crawford   http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/
-><-             "You and your stupid orthography" -- Mark