Subject: Re: Catching exceptions within a shared library
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <crvich@us.ibm.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/30/1999 10:28:28
>I'm by no means a c++ person, i just thought i'd do some more
>investigation.  Sounds like there are some Issues, perhaps with EGCS

Thanks for confirming that it's reproducible elsewhere.  I was sort of
hoping it was just that I needed some additional flag or cr*0.o object.
We're sufficing with a static library for the time being.  The exes are
huge, but they pass our full test suite and our NetBSD customers have their
port.  We'll continue trying to get a shared lib version working as time
permits, though...we have a lot of exes, so in addition to the size
reduction we'd like to get, it bites to have to relink all of them every
time we make a change in the lib.

>Have you tried other versions of the compiler?

gcc 2.7.x isn't up to the task (internal compiler errors galore), and 2.8.1
gave us some unexplainable runtime problems.  gcc 2.9.1 (egcs 1.1.2) has
been reliable, so we've stuck with that.  I tried building and using gcc
2.9.5 a few weeks ago, but it didn't cooperate well with the NetBSD 1.3.3
assembler and linker, so I gave up...I'll probably try again at some point.

---
Ernest M. Crvich
IBM ODE team
Have footbag, will shred.