Subject: Re: 3C905B-TX problem
To: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/29/1999 13:55:00
On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Steven Grunza wrote:

> I'm trying to install NetBSD-1.4.1 on a Dell Dimension XPS R400.  The
> network card is a PCI card from 3COM.  The web pages list it (3C905B-TX) as
> being supported.  I got the following from booting with the boot_fs image
> in the installation directory.
>
> ex0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: 3Com 3C905B-TX 10/100 Ethernet
> ex0: unable to wake up from power state D3.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

Just an idea, but...

Does this card have a setup disk with it?  If so, try running it to reset
stuff...  The error is due to the fact that the card has entered some
power save mode.  The comments say (from if_ex_pci.c):

    /* Get it out of power save mode if needed (BIOS bugs) */
    if (pci_get_capability(pc, pa->pa_tag, PCI_CAP_PWRMGMT, 0, 0)) {
        pmode = pci_conf_read(pc, pa->pa_tag, PCI_POWERCTL) & 0x3;
        if (pmode == 3) {
            /*
             * The card has lost all configuration data in
             * this state, so punt.
             */
            printf("%s: unable to wake up from power state D3\n",
                sc->sc_dev.dv_xname);

Just a guess, though...

-Jon Lindgren