Subject: Re: Applixware - it's still doing it!
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/1999 09:14:25
On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:34:19 +0200
 Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi> wrote:

 > Something like that, yes.  But why does the memory allocator get slower
 > and slower?  Isn't this some kind of a bug?

That depends.  It could be that Applixware itself is doing lots of mallocs
and frees, maybe using an mmap-based allocator.  This can fragment the
VM map for that process.

UVM doesn't currently collapse adjacent VM map entries .... partially
because doing that is also expensive ... Although, a clever implementation
could take hints about where to begin and end the collapse... chalk one
up on the TODO list...

Of course, this may not be the root cause of your problem.  I'm just throwing
out ideas :-)