Subject: Re: X cards - two heads?
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/1999 17:03:05
You wrote (in your message from Wednesday 22)
 > Along the lines of a new card, has anyone ever installed two cards and run
 > two heads (localhost:0.0 and localhost:0.1)?  If so, how does the local
 > keyboard/mouse switch between the two?  I've had no experience doing this
 > on the local machine; only ever on xterms (like the tektronix) have I done
 > this...

There is no support for multi-head in the XFree86 3.3.x branch that
comes with NetBSD (except for a dual Hercules-Mono/VGA16 server). You
need the newest XFree86 3.9.16 (3.9.17 should be released shortly,
but it as already accumulated a huge delay, so I won't give any date).

In 3.9.16, you tell in the /etc/XF86Config file what is the physical
layout of your screens (ie screen 1 is right of screen 2). The mouse
switches screens when it crosses a border between the screens.
For the keyboard, it depends on your window manager, and how it
handles multiple screens. Some older WM can't handle multiple
screens.

Another option with XFree86 3.9.17 will be to use the Panoramix
extension to have one big logical X screen (:0.0) across all physical
screens. The only constraint is that you have to use the same depth on
all phyisical screens.
--
					Matthieu