Subject: Re: X cards - two heads?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/22/1999 10:58:26
> Along the lines of a new card, has anyone ever installed two cards
> and run two heads (localhost:0.0 and localhost:0.1)?  If so, how does
> the local keyboard/mouse switch between the two?

I've never done it on an Intel box (this *is* port-i386); I've done it
relatively often on other hardware, usually Suns.

When they're two screens run by a single server (.0 and .1), keyboard
focus moves like keyboard focus on a single-screen server: wherever the
window manager tells it to.  How the pointer roams the screens is not
specified by the core protocol; typically, moving it off the left or
right edge of one screen will flip to another screen.  XWarpPointer()
can also move the pointer from screen to screen.

There is no reason in principle why the screens can't have different
resolutions, and indeed the Sun servers I've used support this (eg, an
1152x900 cgsix and a 1600x1280 bwtwo).

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca