Subject: Old Pentium, older SCSI
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschmeyer@unixpros.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/20/1999 10:40:12
I'm in the process of putting together a NetBSD 1.4.1 box to act as a
PPP/NAT router and Samba/Netatalk server for my home. (The usual.)

To keep expenses down, I'm trying to do it from things laying around the
house. I'm having some problems, though with the SCSI subsystem.

Basic box configuration:

        Gateway 2000 P5-60 (Intel "Batman's Revenge" mobo)
        32Mb RAM
        420MB IDE root/usr drive
        Torisan 6x ATAPI CD-ROM (master on secondary IDE)
        Old WD SVGA card.

This part all seems to work fine. I want to install a SCSI card, though,
so that I can access the NetBSD installion sets on a Zip drive.

My first attempt was from performed using a AHA-1542A (really old card). =
The
Zip probed and mounted correctly, but the installer would have problems w=
ith
invalid file headers while unpacking the sets. In short, I appeared to ha=
ve
some kind of silent data corruption.

Is this a known problem/issue? Is it because I was trying to use such an
ancient card or is it because I'm trying to use a Bus-mastering ISA card =
in a
PCI system?

Can I get away with a 1542-B or -C?

Digging deeper into the SCSI card graveyard, I also came across an old Fu=
ture
Domain TMC-850M. It is recognized by the kernel (though its boot rom sees=
 the
Zip at multiple LUNs), but the probe process appears to totally wedge the=
 SCSI
chain.

Has anybody else had any luck with one of these cards? Or is the driver
suffering from severe bit rot under 1.4.1?

Lastly, any recommendations for a reasonable, cheap, NetBSD-supported SCS=
I card?

Thanks in advance...

--
John Ruschmeyer=09=09=09jruschmeyer@unixpros.com