Subject: Re: Floppy drive detection problem
To: fission <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/1999 18:37:59
On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 03:34:01PM -0600, fission wrote:
> Okay, this is starting to weird me out.  I disabled the 1.2MB drive and
> left the 1.44 MB drive alone; I tried using /dev/fd0b, but the 1.2MB drive
> started seeking/spinning/etc.
>
> Does the placement of the floppy drives along the cable make a difference
> at all?  I ask this because I think the 1.4MB drive is actually second on
> the chain, but is/was defined as the first floppy when I got the computer.

There are a lot of different x86 floppy controller/cable/drive combinations.

Probably the most common is a cable that has a twist in it between the
first and second drive connectors. In that case, the first drive (A: in
MS-Dos) is the one on the end connector, and the one in the middle of the
cable is the second drive (B: in MS-Dos).

Floppy drives may have DS (drive select) jumpers on them too. If so, for
a twisted cable, leave both at DS0. For a cable with no twist, set the
drive A: to DS0, and drive B: to DS1.

Since NetBSD is probing the hardware directly, it won't care about
the BIOS settings for the two drives. (Except for booting from floppy)

Sounds like your 1.44 is fd1.

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods