Subject: Re: Athlon / 2940UW (can't install)
To: Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasq.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/07/1999 16:55:10
On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Jeff Northon wrote:
> Have a Athlon with an Adaptec 2940UW that I can't get to install:
>
> Here is the start of the error message:
>
> md0: internal 1587k image area <-------what is md0?
> sd0: no disk label <--------------- yea, can't install
> root on md0a dumps on md0b
> no file system for md0 (dev 0x1100)
> cannot mount root, error = 79
> root device (default md0a)
>
> Is there something missing from the boot block?
> Should I be using a different floppy boot image?

I don't know, where did you get your floppy boot image? :)

md0 is "memory disk," I believe... the way things are supposed to work
is that a disk image is embedded into the kernel. When you boot the
kernel, md0 will contain the contents of the disk image, which for the
install floppy, would have all the installation utilites and stuff on
it.

Error 79 is EFTYPE "Inappropriate file type or format"... don't know
what that means though :) I know that if you just compile an INSTALL
kernel and stick it on a floppy along with boot blocks, you'll get some
sort of error since it's missing the disk image. I don't know if it's
error 79 though. If you're compiling your own boot floppy from the
source code, you need to look at the stuff in
/usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 24 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++