Subject: Re: Install without video/keyboard?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/07/1999 12:07:44
At 11:15 AM 12/7/99 -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
>>> I did it once, but I don't believe you can get around not having a
>>> video card.  I haven't yet found the Pee Cee BIOS that will boot without
>>> having a video card installed.
>>
>>I've been doing just this for the last 3 weeks, having pirated my creaky old
>>486 firewall's video card while waiting for my new one on back-order. Worked
>>like a charm; just remember to set the bios's display to none.
>
>I couldn't set that in the BIOS on the PC I have ... *shrug*.

On some there is a setting for "No display". On others, it works if you set
"Don't halt on errors" - it will produce a terrible beep alarm, but boot
anyway. On still others, it just can't be done. It all depends on the
thoughtfulness of the BIOS authors.

(A company I used to work for sold a product that used off-the shelf PC
hardware. We never sold a box that had a video card in it, so we had to be
careful about motherboard selection).