Subject: Re: Wscons on i386 EGA/CGA
To: Grant Stockly <gussie@stockly.com>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/05/1999 19:05:59
gussie@stockly.com said:
> >you should use the
> >"pcdisplay* at isa?" driver.
>
> Thats what the kernel tells me its using.

OK, together with your reply to Manuel:

> packard# wsconscfg -t 80x25 -e vt100 1
> wsconscfg: WSDISPLAYIO_ADDSCREEN: Cannot allocate memory

this all makes sense. The "pcdisplay" video card driver doesn't
allow to allocate more than one logical screen. It is intended
as small and minimal thing suitable eg for install media.

What's missing here is an "ega at isa" driver. I didn't
try to implement one due to lack of hardware.
It shouldn't be too hard to make one with the vga driver
as starting point, however.

> Is that interface compatible
> with wscons?

Yes, it is - besides the fact that not all possible functions
are implemented. (Afaik, the only wscons display drivers which
support virtual screens are "vga" and some VAX framebuffer one.)

best regards
Matthias