Subject: Re: Booting without video card....
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/04/1999 15:28:19
On 04.12.99, 14:46:57, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> e.delcamp@wanadoo.fr said:
> > - Is a video card absolutly necessary to boot NetBSD ?
>
> Shouldn't be. It's probably necessary to use a serial console
> however.

No it isn't at all. I've successfully run a machine for several months
without keyboard, and without video card, and without serial console.

Some BIOSs might stop when they don't find a video card, but a lot of
them allow you to set "Main display" to "N/A" or something like that,
then the machine might beep a non-fatal error code at cold boot, but
should start anyway.

If it does not work at all, it's still more likely to be a problem of
the BIOS than of NetBSD.

--
Bernd Sieker

Unix, the solution to the W2k problem.