Subject: Re: installation woes
To: Erik Huizing <huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/29/1999 12:40:09
On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 09:18:42AM -0700, Erik Huizing wrote:
> I'm having the damndest time installing NetBSD-1.4.1 on an old 486 of
> mine.
> I was going to install over ftp, but I kept getting "ne1: device timeout".
> I tracked the problem to the fact that the NIC was on irq 3. Its a pnp
> card with no jumpers, so I gave up that avenue. Next, I tried a disk

Oddly enough, I created a bootable floppy with ne0 - IRQ3, IO 300 for
another fellow on the list. You can get it at

ftp://mule.worldmap.net/lazaro.fs

This is for ISA, not ISAPNP though. Are you sure your card is configured
for pnp? Many cheap ethernet cards come with a config utility on a floppy -
and you can set the 'jumpers' in NVRAM, -or- select pnp mode.

/> install with no success. Are the disks supposed to be msdos disks, or
> unix? I also tried mounting the disks in an attempt to copy in all the
> segments:
> # mkdir /mnt2/floppy
> # mount /dev/fd0a /mnt2/floppy

How did you create the floppies?

> Finally, as a last resort, I created a 20 meg dos partition, copied all
> the segments there with the hope of mounting that dos partion, and
> continuting with this installtion.
> # mkdir /mnt2/msdos
> # mount_msdos /dev/wd0f /mnt2/msdos
> but again I get 'deivce not configured':

Do you have a properly populated /dev directory? You do have an IDE drive,
right?

If you don't spend energy getting what you want,
	You'll have to spend it dealing with what you get.
					      - Unknown