Subject: Re: slow IDE in 1.4.1
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: George Detlefsen <darvish@ibm.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/27/1999 05:49:11
I have seen the same problem with a 486DX100 with VLB bus and a VLB IDE
controller. I reverted to 1.3.3.

A file cat of /netbsd to /dev/null took 8 seconds on 1.4.1 and under a
second on 1.3.3.

dmesg output is the same for both systems:

        wdc0 at isa0 port 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14
        wd0 at wdc0 drive 0: <ST1144AT>
        wd0 using 1-sector 16-bit pio transfers, chs mode
        wd0: 124MB, 1001 cyl, 15 head, 17 sec, 512 bytes/sec
        (wd1 is the same type of disk)

My guess is that the interrupt per sector is taking longer than the
inter-sector gap time and the transfer is paying a disk rotation time
for each sector transferred.

Cheers,

George D Detlefsen