Subject: Re: How to port inportb/outportb to NetBSD ???
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@uswest.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/26/1999 08:53:25
Frank van der Linden wrote:

> If you're Joe Average user, you can't use inb, outb and friends. Try
> running your program as root, and use i386_iopl() to enable access
> to I/O ports.

Hello Frank,

Ok, I'll check out that function. Thanks pointing me in the right
direction.

> Does your program really need to access I/O ports? Is there no way
> to stick the functionality that needs this access in a device driver,
> as is usually done?

The code I am trying to port is a complete C-library interface that I
wrote on an MS-DOS system for the Hayes Enhanced Serial Interface, or
more commonly known as Hayes Enhanced Serial Port or just Hayes ESP.

NetBSD currently has some support for this serial card on the i386
platform, but it is not complete. I suspect that the code I am
working could be included in a separate driver, or even merged into
what is currently in NetBSD, but I haven't come across a "how-to-write-
a-device-driver" type document yet. So, in the mean time, I am
attempting to get my library code and my command line utility to
work on NetBSD outside of a device driver.

Brian
bstark@uswest.net