Subject: Re: Re: kernel panic: what next?---- maybe a PR?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Lazaro Daniel Salem <SALEM@statoil.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/25/1999 00:18:39
You were right sb0 (the soundblaster Pro) was taking the IRQ 5
So this is the correct transcript of the boot messages:
--------------------------------------
sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 5 drq 1: dsp v3.01
midi0 at sb0: <SB MIDI UART>
audio0 at sb0: half duplex
opl0 at sb0: model OPL2
midi1 ar opl0: <SB Yamaha OPL2>
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x64
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard
pcppio at isa0 port 0x61
midi2 at pcppi0: <PC speaker>
sysbeep0 at pcppi0
isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: ISA Plug 'n Play device support
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16
omms0 at isa0 port 0x23c-0x23f irq 5
panic: intr_establish: irq 5 can't share edge-triggered with pulsed
Stopped in at _Deebugger+0x4: leave
db>
-------------------------------------
After your mail I checked the jumpers at the SoundBlaster Pro card and to
my surprise
the jumper for the IRQ 7 was set on the card (factory default) and not the
one on IRQ 5
as detected at boot time by the NetBSD kernel.

Just in case, I moved the jumper to IRQ 2 and NetBSD still reported IRQ 5
and the NetBSD kernel reported again IRQ 5 with exactly the same resulting
panic.

So...either the SB card had jumpers that don't work (I doubt it) or the
kernel is reporting bad. Booting OpenBSD (2.5 install floppy disk) or
FreeBSD
showed no conflict, neither did the linux kernel 2.0.3*

Does this qualifies for a PR? (if so, any volunteer to write it ? i'm a
newbie
as far as sending PRs are concerned)

Thanks for your help,
Lazaro