Subject: Re: Adaptec 1502 & scanning
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/21/1999 22:42:21
Hi!

Todd Vierling wrote:
> : Is it correct that the Adaptec 1502, an ISA SCSI controller that comes
> : (came?) with some hardware, e.g. scanners, is not supported by NetBSD?
>
> The 1502E (aka the "Zip Zoom" card, an external-port-only Adaptec 1502) is
> supported by the aic* driver; I used it as early as 1.2C.
>
> You do have to make sure the card is using the appropriate IO port and IRQ
> compared to the kernel config (which defaults to 0x340, irq 11 on NetBSD,
> NOT the same as what my Zip Zoom had from the factory).

That was the problem -- I already tried the ISA aic*, but didn't look
at the settings to carefully (IRQ 10, 0x140).

Perhaps the 1502 could be mentioned in the supported hardware list,
and the comment in the GENERIC kernel could be updated to add 150x and
1510?

Was anyone successful in scanning with such a controller? I have a
Microtek E3 attached to it, and tried using pkgsrc/graphics/sane with
/dev/ss0, but "scanimage -L" just hangs, doesn't even react to "kill
-9". I deleted all other scanners from /usr/X11R6/etc/sane.d/dll.conf,
still no luck.  Any hints?

Thanks,
 Thomas

--