Subject: Re: problems with swap partition on 1.2 (SOLVED)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/18/1999 17:40:29
> Just for fun, I retried my boot of my original kernel, using sd0g as
> the root partition, with sd0h = sd0b (swap).  This time, savecore did
> not complain: presumably it checked sd0h for the core dump and found
> none.  However, "swapon" still complained, both during boot and upon
> later manual invocation, that /dev/sd0b is not configured, and a
> manual attempt to "swapon /dev/sd0h" gave the "already in use" error.

As someone else already remarked, I believe that 1.2 is old enough that
the kernel comes up already swapping on its default swap device, which
is why sd0h was already in use.

I have no idea what's with sd0b giving you "not configured".  That's
weird, and personally I'd sit down with the kernel source (which you
imply you have, just not on the relevant machine) and figure out why.
(Perhaps the /dev entry is trashed?  It seems unlikely, but so do all
the other possible explanations I've come up with.)

But that's also probably not worth doing, since you say you're trying
to jump to a modern OS anyway. :)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca