Subject: Re: configuring NETBSD-1.4.1 kernel
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/18/1999 16:37:00
> I just compiled a new kernel.  I installed it as /netbsd.mine
> When I booted it I got the following message:
>   dmesg: kvm_read Bad address (0x0)

dmesg is a kmem groveler.  Either install your new kernel as /netbsd
(which you'll probably want to do eventually if you want to cut over to
it for normal operation) or run "kvm_mkdb /netbsd.mine" manually.
(There is some small chance you'll have to rm /var/db/kvm.db first to
make that DTRT.)

> When I started Netscape communicator:
>   xterm< ~e : not found
>   netscape:8: syntax error: word
>   unexpected (expecting ")" )

Fix: don't use Netscape.  (Only half a smiley here.)

This sounds as though netscape is an executable of a format not
understood by your new kernel - eg, an a.out executable and the kernel
does only ELF.  Check to make sure you have any COMPAT_ options you
need.

> When I did netstat -rn , I got;
>   kvm_read: Bad address
>   kvm_read: Bad address

netstat is another kmem groveler; this is basically the same problem as
the dmesg complaint.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca