Subject: Re: How to mount msdos logical disks, or EXT DOS partition?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@digital.dp.ua>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/17/1999 11:34:16
On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Wenchi Liao wrote:
> The linux fdisk seems to understand 16 partitions (4 primary
> partitions, and 4 logical volumes in each). From playing with

 Maybe it's have sense for Linux-only use, but it's a complete nonsense
if you're using extended partitions for inter-system data transfer. Per
MS design, only one primary partition may have type 5 (extended), and
it contains a chain of partition tables for logical disks inside. So it
will be more useful to support up to 16 logical  disks  in single primary
partition (as  I've done in my RSX IDE driver) than 4x4.
 Just my own opinion.

Sincerely, Dmitry

Dnipropetrovsk State University,        E-mail:  dmitry@digital.dp.ua
Physical Faculty,                       WWW:      http://ff.dsu.dp.ua
Department of Experimental Physics
Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine                 FTP:  ftp://digital.dp.ua/DEC