Subject: Re: Plug-and-Play BIOS support available
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/16/1999 01:37:18
In article <199911151852.TAA0000022046@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>,
Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de> wrote:

>This would make some sense. There would be some waste of memory
>because there are PnP BIOS devices which never show up as ISAPnP
>and vice versa, but this wouldn't be too much.
>What I don't like about the way isapnpdevs is implemented is that
>there is a somewhat arbitrary distinction between device IDs
>and compatible IDs. An ID is an ID and has its meaning whether
>the hardware vendor has chosen it as primary or compatible ID.
>There could be more code shared, but the isapnp code would need
>some restructuring first.

I beg to differ. Vendor specific id's are nice because then you
can provide custom drivers that take advantage of extra features
that are not available in the lowest-level-common-denominator
compat set. The way to do a match is to first check the vendor
specific id, and then failing to match one, try the compat ids.

I believe the above is mentioned in the PNP spec. Of course there
is our friend Gus, that does not appear to know how to read the
spec:

devlogic        joy     PNPB02F         0       XXX broken GUS PnP

[PNP???? is reserved for devcompat devices]

BTW, nice job on the bios stuff. I had been tinkering with it a
while ago, but never got farther than reading the bios signature :-)

christos