Subject: Re: Simultaneous ppp connections
To: Mike Pelley <mike.pelley@coventus.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/12/1999 15:38:15
Mike Pelley writes:
> > I have an isdn line and also a analogue modem. I want to connect
> > to my isp and use my static ip with the analogue modem while at
> > the same time connect to a different isp and use the isdn connection
> > there. What I want to do is have all internet access to my netbsd
> > machine use the isdn line and all access to my netbsd machine route
> > through the analogue modem.
>
> Not sure what you're looking for - both your isdn and analog modem seem to
> have the same definition in your query.  Can you clarify a little?   ;o)
>
> CU! Mike.

My guess is that hs is looking to have packets that come in on an
interface, leave by the same interface, regardless of the routing table.
I vaguely remember some discussion on this topic several years(?) ago,
particularly when considering different security zones, etc.

Ultimately what is needed is the ability to remember what interface a
connection came in on, and respond out the same interface, instead of
via the default route.  AFAIK this isn't possible yet.  It seems like
something like ipnat should support doing this, but I believe the output
interface is already selected by the time ipnat is called.

This would be a good question for tech-net.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.