Subject: Re: resend: Upgrading processor / DECREASED network performance
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/09/1999 14:49:49
Hi,

Just thought I'd let everyone know, I replaced the ISA network cards with
a couple of cheepo RealTek 8029 PCI cards in the machine (couldn't justify
spending 3 times as much for "good" cards in this situation), and the
performance increase has been stellar.  I expect now that I'm constrained
mostly by the bandwidth available to the cable modem (and the throttles
that Rogers is so kind to provide).

Incase people are curious, I was getting about 2KB/s througput to a high
bandwidth FTP site just before the upgrade (I assumed it was network
congestion, it was the evening).  Immediatly after the upgrade, I got
150KB/s - a significant improvement <grin>.  I guess it was more seriously
broken than I had thought.

Thanks for the help!
	Rick