Subject: Re: Uh-oh... Broken keyboard input.
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/02/1999 16:06:12
On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> What's happening? No input at all? Can you toggle eg the Caps-Lock
> LED?

This sounds like the exact same problem a friend of mine was having
trying to install 1.4. Like Mike's friend, he has a UMC chipset
motherboard with an AMD 5x86 CPU. The INSTALL kernel on the boot floppy
worked fine, and let him install the sets to the hard drive, but the
GENERIC kernel said the "opmsprobe: command error" and the keyboard was
unresponsive afterwards. No input at all, and the caps lock LED didn't
work. I was able to use "boot -as" to boot the INSTALL kernel and set
the root device to wd0a, compile a kernel without the opms device, and
get his machine up and running. (I did remove a couple other devices
too, so it's possible that opms wasn't the problem... however, I suspect
it was :)

> I suspect some interrupt lossage. Does the keyboard work
> if you boot into the debugger (boot -d) or the root device
> prompt (boot -a)?

I didn't try either of those...