Subject: bootblock suggestion: stop timeout on left-shift
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/01/1999 12:58:07
Here's a thought:

There's a lot of people out there trained to use LILO.  They `know' to
press left-shift to interrupt an auto-boot. It would be really cool if
NetBSD's bootblock treated left-shift as a `keypress', and stopped the
autoboot timer if it detected a keypress. Is that doable?

I also think it'd be great if the netbsd bootblock had a table-driven timeout,
so that it could be changed via installboot (like we can for the
bootselector). Its cosmetic, yes, but IMHO it'd make the initial
impact of netbsd/i386 much more friendly to people coming from the
Penguin world.

Comments?