Subject: Re: PCI enumeration (was: ne2000 PCMCIA not working as PCMCIA either.)
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/30/1999 22:46:41
In message <199910271857.LAA19349@lestat.nas.nasa.gov>Jason Thorpe writes:
>On Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:48:37 -0700
> Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>
> > But what about the bridge-compatibility issues? the pcic at isa gets
> > probed before the CardBus at PCI. So if PCI cardbus hardware disables
> > PCI access after it sees legacy-ISA activity, we're sunk.
>
>I think this has been fixed.

Not really. I tried with today's sup. Sony PCG-F350 configures both a
legacy-isa-address pcic0, and cbb0/cbb1.  If I boot with a 3c5889C
plugged in, it gets attached as ep1 at pcmcia0 at pcic0, and again as
ep2 at pcmcia2 at cbb0.  They can't both work :-(, and it gobbles a
couple of IRQs for the pcic attachment.

Its like the old buslogic emulation of Adaptecs: we need to disable
the legcay pcic on a cbb before or during the match for the pcic, or
the (legacy-aware) cbb is gonna match a pcic, and mess up autoconfiguration.