Subject: Re: Electrical relays <- NetBSD
To: Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasq.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/1999 14:06:21
Jeff Northon <jeffo@sasq.net> writes:
> Has anyone developed something that will interface with NetBSD to switch
> relays (to control hung machines remotely)? We are starting on a project
> to do this. I think I heard about a parallel port device, is there
> anything else?

My favorite device of this type goes something like:

take a power strip.  shove a solid-state relay in it, capable of being
switched by RS-232 voltage and capable of switching the wall
voltage/current going through the power strip.  connect that to gnd +
DTR on a serial port, plug that into a box.  then use a little program
like the one at http://www.demetriou.com/~cgd/powercycle.c to toggle
the DTR.

the one big drawback is that it's one serial port per device to power
cycle.  8-)

cgd