Subject: Re: (a) Adaptec 2940U/UW; (b) making floppies
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/26/1999 23:38:40
der Mouse writes:
> Does anyone know anything about the Adaptec 2940U/UW?  It's a PCI card
> with three SCSI connectors: internal LVD, internal 50-pin ribbon cable,
> and external "SCSI-2" (high-density 50-pin).
>
> It shows up as (hand-typed transcription)
>
> vendor 0x9004 product 0x7895 (SCSI mass storage, revision 0x03) at pci0 dev 14 function 0 not configured
> vendor 0x9004 product 0x7895 (SCSI mass storage, revision 0x03) at pci0 dev 14 function 1 not configured

This looks like a "7895" type card, that isn't currently supported by
the NetBSD driver.  FreeBSD does support this chipset though.

> The other question is, given the new kernel, how do I build the
> floppies?  When it's just one floppy, it's fairly straightforward to
> make a filesystem and copy stuff to it; how do the multi-floppy sets
> work?  I don't see anything promising-looking in arch/i386/stand....

Look in distrib/i386/floppies/fdset, you can just make your custom
kernel as 'INSTALL' (sys/arch/i386/compile/INSTALL/netbsd is what the
Makefiles want)  Should be pretty straightforward.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.