Subject: Re: resend: Upgrading processor / DECREASED network performance
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/24/1999 11:49:21
The card that I think is causing the problem is a Racal NI6510 which is a
NE2100 clone (uses the nele driver).  The other card is a 3Com 3C509B (ep
driver).  I'm using 10BaseT links.  The NetBSD version didn't change, but I
did compile a new kernel (with all the PCI bus stuff etc.).  Actually, I
did compile MROUTING into the kernel for the first time, could that be
causing performance problems?  The only other software thing that changed
is that I upgraded the version of ipfilter to 3.2.10, but I did that a few
days before the hardware upgrade and people didn't start complaining until
JUST after the hardware upgrade.  The only other services that run on the
box are named, sendmail, imapd, samba, and apache, but all of those are
barely used at all (just my e-mail, the occasional DNS lookup, and the
occasional connection to the HTTP server for netscape Roaming Profile
stuff).  The 386 was running all those services too (although MUCH slower).

Any of this sound like it could be causing a problem?  Thor told me that
ISA DMA on PCI machines gets a low priority and is probably what's causing
the slowdown.  I plan on picking up a few PCI network cards sometime soon -
hopefully that'll fix the problem.

Thanks!
	Rick

Ross Harvey wrote:

> > [ network is slow after 386/25 -> P90 upgrade ]
>
> You said you were using the same ISA network cards. But which card? What's
> the speed of the links? Did the NetBSD version change? And what version?
> You said you are compiling things. A new kernel? Do any services run on it
> besides packet forwarding?

Rick Byers                       University of Waterloo, Computer Science
rickb@iaw.on.ca                               http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/