Subject: Re: 3c562D/3c563D working modem?
To: Christophe Kalt <kalt@stealth.net>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/24/1999 15:06:51
Hello,

> i'm running the netbsd-1.4 branch from about a week ago,
> and am trying to use the modem part of the a 3C562D/3C563D
> card.

I am using the same card since 1.3-current (pre 1.4). The problem is
that you can't use the modem and ethernet function at one time. I guess
this is due to interrupt problems, but I don't really know if its
a bug or a feature.

> the ethernet part works fine (since 1.4; i don't use
> -current), however i've had no luck with the modem so far and
> was wondering if anyone had more luck.

Try to `ifconfig ep0 down` before using the modem (/dev/tty02 or
whatever it maps to). And be sure to quit any application that
opens the serial device (like pppd) before doing an `ifconfig ep0 up`
again.

> any help would be appreciated, upgrading to -current isn't an
> option for me :/

AFAIK the above workaround should work with 1.4.x. I am using current
and I have still use that workarround.

Hope this helps.

Greets
      Thorsten