Subject: Re: Soft Errors / DMA errors on IBM 18G ATAPI disk
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: jiho <root@mail.c-zone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/21/1999 14:12:54
>> I was already wondering if there isn't something screwy going on with the
>> PS/2  mouse driver and its interrupts.  It seems especially prone to trouble
>> while I'm downloading data via my dial-up ISP, through my internal modem's
>> serial port -- in other words, when the serial port driver and the PS/2
>> mouse driver are both getting interrupts.  The net result seems to be bogus
>> mouse events, which can cause various problems for clients who don't/can't
>> filter them out properly.  I don't know if/how it affects/involves the
>> serial port driver.
>
> Hum, I didn't notice this on my hardware. What hardware do you have ?
> Especially what motherboard ?

Motherborad is Tyan S1590S "Trinity 100" -- VIA MVP3 chipset.  So-called
"Super 7", with PC100 SDRAM.  Outstanding characteristic:  the integrated
serial ports don't work, using the supplied (or any other) cables.

Interesting cards are PCI-bus Diamond FirePort40 SCSI, and ISA-bus internal
USRobotics modem (28.8 firmware-upgraded to 33.6).

PS/2 mouse is Logitech "Combo" (converts to serial), which has hair-trigger
buttons that are easy to touch-off accidentally.

You know, downloads do go to disk, so it might be hard drive activity (SCSI in
this case), not serial port activity, that is tripping up the PS/2 mouse -- if
indeed anything like either is involved at all.

Some of these problems are _very_ hard to reproduce.  I have satisfied myself
that some, at least, _do_ involve some kind of confusion in mouse events.  I'm
working on reproducing and tracking them now.  It may take a while.

One program -- the window manager fvwm 1.24 -- shows an odd behavior that is
very predictable.  If I raise the priority on the X server (start it with nice
-10), fvwm complains just about every time I double-click on a window close
button (upper left).  The complaint is about an internal error, caused by a
mouse button event generating a KillClient request with an invalid parameter
(client window resource ID).  The window does close, however.  With normal
server priority, fvwm has no complaints.

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>