Subject: Re: Something wrong with disklabel....
To: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/19/1999 13:05:39
On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Thilo Manske wrote:

> (But I still don't know, how the bootblock got coruppted).

I sort of doubt it's the same problem, but, Well, Win95 tends to randomly
rewrite them from time to time, or so i found.  It does something like
``FDISK /MBR'', except while FDISK /MBR is a command that your fingers
type, what I'm talking obout is an autonymous action perhaps vaguely
associated witth some poorly-defined behaviour like opening a control
panel or selecting a particular Tab. I vaguely recall a warning in some
box saying ``Your master boot record has changed.  Your computer may be
infected with a virus.'' but i'm quite sure i never pressed any buttons to
get it rewritten.  So, these days when average joes reinstall Linux for
the third time I tell them not to put LILO in the MBR, because when they
dual-boot it's eventually going to get trashed.  Our bootloaders
understand the filesystem, so this is not nearly such a big deal with
NetBSD where any old boot floppy can load your kernel off the hard disk if
you ask it, but it's still good to be aware of.

Then:
``Windows NT has detected OS/2 on your computer.  These files needlessly
waste disk space and slow down your computer.  Would you  like to:

  o Delete OS/2
  o Abort the installation of Windows NT''

Now:
``Microsoft Word has not been run on this Macintosh before.  Microsoft
Word is updating your System Folder with the necessary Microsoft
Extensions.  Do not interrupt this process.''

--
Miles Nordin / v:1-888-857-2723 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US