Subject: Re: Soft Errors / DMA errors on IBM 18G ATAPI disk
To: Tom Javen <tomja@InnoTrac.fi>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/17/1999 12:43:39
On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Tom Javen wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Mike Cheponis wrote:

>> I installed 1.4.1 on an IBM 18G disk into a 2G partition.  Then I gave the
>> disk to a friend to install into his machine.  (Both machines are K6-2/450
>> MHz w/64 MB, but are otherwise not identical motherboards).

>> wd0a: DMA error reading fsbn 85104 of 85104-85119 (wd0 bn 85167; cn 84 tn 7 sn 54), retrying
>> wd0: soft error (corrected)

>> [... many more of those ...]

> I got the same problem here with 20G IBM , seems that my motherboard (asus
> p5a) with acer chipset has some problems on ultra dma .
>
> works fine with a kernel compiled with :
> wd*     at pciide? channel ? drive ? flags 0x0fac

> Tom

The motherboard has the Ali M1541/M1543C chipset.

I guess one question is: Is this a h/w problem that prevents, in the case
you mention, the Ali (acer) chipset from properly doing ultra dma?

Or is this a problem with NetBSD's inability to massage the Ali chipset
properly to do ultra dma?

Thanks again! -Mike