Subject: Re: StarOffice 5.1 & NetBSD
To: None <franklin@elfie.org>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tardis.bernstein.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/16/1999 03:11:47
>Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 12:00:37 -0400
>From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
>
>>From searching though the list archives, the only thing keeping
>StarOffice 5.1 from running was one or more linux system calls
>that needed to be emulated (clone(), in particular).
>
>Has this made it in to -current yet?  Does anyone have an SO51
>success story? (It's a semi-production machine.  I'd rather not
>move to -current from 1.4.1 if I don't have to.)

Yes, -current supports this.

It seems to work reasonably well, but I've managed to get it confused
a few times.  It can get wedged in such a way that it leaves lots of
processes around executing "soffice.bin", which need to be killed by
hand before the application can be restarted.  I've never used soffice
on linux, so I don't know if this is normal or if it's particular to
the linux emulation on NetBSD.

It's also a bit annoying using the builtin browser to view the local
filesystem, because the linux emulation code shadows the real
filesystem tree with the stuff in /emul/linux.  I worked around that
by doing "ln -s / /NetBSD" so that I can click on the NetBSD folder
and see the real tree.

Oh, and it's also dog-slow for that authentic Windoze feeling :-).  I
don't think this is the emulation's fault -- I'm running it on a
cranky old P90 with only 48 megs, and the soffice application is HUGE.
I've finally found a use for the 200 megs of swap space I have
configured on this machine.

All in all, I'm very impressed that the linux emulation code is able
to run a huge application like this.  Great work!

--
entropy