Subject: Re: ATAPI CD performance (update)
To: None <Federico_Lupi@www.datasys.it>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/15/1999 07:47:58
Federico_Lupi@www.datasys.it writes:

 > Are you using 'cd..' or 'rcd..' for your tests?
 >
 > I made some more tests with NetBSD 1.4.1
 >
 > ASUS 40x:
 >      dd if=/dev/cd0d  of=/dev/null bs=32k   ==>  360 K/s
 >      dd if=/dev/rcd0d of=/dev/null bs=32k   ==> 4000 K/s

I get basically the same results as these, on -current.

Interestingly, the reason I decided to test again and post yesterday
was that I noticed copying files off a mounted cd was much faster than
previous results with dd would have led me to expect. I guess in the
larger picture, that's what we really care about.

It's interesting that the filesystem mounted off the block device can
get much faster results than using the block device directly, though.

--
Dan.