Subject: Re: Migrating FreeBSD->NetBSD without changing disklabel, partition table?
To: None <matt@braithwaite.net>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/12/1999 20:43:18
> So, my plan was to move everything on my FreeBSD /usr partition (which
> has plenty of free space, out of the way, and install onto that.  That
> way I can easily copy my FreeBSD stuff out, and I'll still have a
> FreeBSD root partition if I need to back out.  All I'd need to do is
> swap between FreeBSD and NetBSD boot blocks.
>
> One hitch with this is that sysinst seems to want to fdisk, partition,
> install boot blocks, newfs, and install software all in one shot.
> Obviously I don't want to do all that!  I thought I might just use the
> ``install packages'' option to install kern and base, but I'm not sure
> whether this will leave me with a half-assed install or not.  (I've
> never installed NetBSD before.)

An alternative to sysinst is to do it manually.  However, I
expect at least the following possible trouble spots:

 o Installing the "other" system's boot code.  To go to NetBSD
   you'll proably need to boot the install floppy, exit sysinst
   and manually install the boot code.  Not sure about how this
   is done in FreeBSD, but I suspect a similar trick should be
   feasible.

 o The contents of /dev.  Again, stand-alone media is most
   probably a lifesaver.

 o You'll also need to save /etc and /sbin between the OSes if
   you're planning for a retreat without resorting to a
   reinstallation.

...and that's probably not all you need to think about.  The
whole process is a lot easier if you can allow yourself to burn
the bridge after crossing. ;-)

- H=E5vard