Subject: FYI: Cheap bootable UW SCSI card
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/10/1999 23:46:12
I just picked up a "Grappler SCSI 940UW" (made by Orange Micro) from the
Macintosh section of my local computer store.  It cost $149, compared to
$299 for the Adaptec 2940UW or a similar list price for the Buslogic
(now Mylex) BT958C.

I didn't expect this card to be bootable on my PC (it's marked "For
PCI Macintosh" all over it) but in fact it is, and it seems to work very
well with the "adw" driver, just as well as my 2940UW "ahc", in fact.

I'm sure these cards are available cheaper mail-order.  This card,
since it's an off-brand Mac SCSI card, seems to be cheaper than the
basically identical Advansys card.

And it doesn't use the "ncr" driver.  How much better could it get? :-)

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"