Subject: Re: 3Com Megahertz 3CXEM556 B
To: marian stagarescu <marian_stagarescu@yahoo.com>
From: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/1999 23:15:11
On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, marian stagarescu wrote:

> I have a laptop with a 3Com Megahertz 3CXEM 556B
> Ethernet+Modem card. I installed netbsd 1.4 on it and
> here is the message I am getting regarding my card:
>
> pcmcia0 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 0
> pcmcia1 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 1
> ep1 at pcmcia1 function 0 port 0x330-0x33f:
> 3Com/Megahertz 3CXEM556 Ethernet Modem
> ep1: wrote 0x7ff to TX_AVAIL_THRESH, read back 0xffff.
> Interface disabled
> com3 at pcmcia1 function1 port 0x340-0x347: serial
> device
> com3: ns16550a, working fine.
>
> Question1: Any suggestions on what to change to make
> the Ethernet card working ?

I also have one of these and mine is not working either.  Thanks to
another machine and tcpdump, I've verified that my card sends packets
without any problems, but it will not receive anything.  To my untrained
eye, it looks like the interrupts are not getting through.

Another possibility is that my 3CXEM556 B, which is being probed as a
3CXEM556, is not quite compatible with the if_ep_pcmcia.c driver.

Anyone know of a real solution?  I'll lend out my card if you happen
to live in the Minneapolis/St Paul area.

And while I'm here, does anyone know how to get XFree86 3.3.5 (found in
yesterday's -current source tree) to get along with the ATI Rage Mobility
chipset found in a Gateway Solo 9300?  All that I get is *lots* of
horizontally streaking snow.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."