Subject: interesting results with PS/2 mice
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: jiho <root@mail.c-zone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/1999 10:42:29
I mean it this time....

In <arch/i386/isa/pms.c>, in pmsopen(), there is a section:

  #if 0
    pms_dev_cmd(PMS_SET_RES);
    pms_dev_cmd(3);             /* 8 counts/mm */
    pms_dev_cmd(PMS_SET_SCALE21);
    pms_dev_cmd(PMS_SET_SAMPLE);
    pms_dev_cmd(100);           /* 100 samples/sec */
    pms_dev_cmd(PMS_SET_STREAM);             <== THIS MUST BE REMOVED !!!
  #endif

As noted, the PMS_SET_STREAM command doesn't work.  I guess that's why the
whole section is '#if 0'.  If you comment out that one line, you can '#if 1'
the whole section and it works fine -- and makes a BIG difference in the way
the mouse behaves.

Only time will tell if that cures any of the problems I was having.  (It's
possible that some or all of them may involve an unstable driver for this
graphics card -- I've been meaning to get another one anyway.)

XFree86 3.3.5 has a fix (#1463) that increases the "mouse event buffer size
for NetBSD".  I have the 3.3.5 source, but uh, haven't gotten around to
building it yet.  Seems to me the above would reduce the flow of mouse events
into the buffer, which would have the same net effect as increasing the buffer
size.

--Jim Howard  <jiho@mail.c-zone.net>