Subject: Re: Plugins for Linux glibc2 Communicator 4.7 won't work!
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/1999 19:12:29
Although Linux has been ELF for a long time, they still use ld.so.conf.
So, if the GNU /lib/ld-x.y.z.so is doing your dynamic linking for you,
then it's worth messing with /emul/whatever/etc/ld.so.conf and running
Linux's ldconfig after installing or removing supplimentary libc5 stuff.
ldconfig will want to write a file called /etc/ld.so.cache -- not sure how
this works on /emul trees.  but, ELF libs on Linux definitely don't work
without hte ld.so.cache file.  i've had many problems with that, with
diskless Linux boots and various shady by-hand installs.

I don't know that this will fix your problem, but I know that
/etc/ld.so.conf and ldconfig matter to Linux ELF systems, even up to
glibc, while to NetBSD ELF they do not.  so, muck around with them and
maybe you'll get lucky!

As for Acrobat, I strongly reccommend that you abandon it and use xpdf.
So the PDF desn't show up in your browser window--big deal!  Acrobat just
does not work that well in my experience.  Anywhere.  but, _especially_ on
Linux.  perhaps it depends on what rev of the X libs you have or
something, but I couldn't get it to work at all on any recent Linux
system.  and xpdf is really quite good.

if xpdf isn't good enough try gv and ghostscript 5.x or higher--that's
supposed to do PDF's too.  anything but Acrobat!

--
Miles Nordin / v:1-888-857-2723 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US