Subject: Re: "knowing" when a file is available in a directory
To: Eric McWhorter <emcwhorter@xsis.xerox.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/06/1999 20:27:11
On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 10:15:07AM -0700, Eric McWhorter wrote:
> As things are, the printer will outrun any single CPU computer by a
> fair margin, so any idle time on the computer is categorically a bad
> idea.  Also, polling on a one second interval would limit the printer
> to (an upper bound of) 60 print jobs a minute, which would be too
> slow.

Hmm.. No such limit if you read the _whole_ directory every second.
If there are 50 files, process _all_ of them within one second (if
you can) and then poll again etc.  The one second polling interval
will delay the start of a print job by 1 sec max, but that's all.

The biggest problem (I think) would be how to know when the file is
_complete_ and ready for printing and not being created any more.

  -jm