Subject: Request: netboot.rom
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/1999 19:27:12
Could someone please build me a netboot.rom?

now, i've never done this before, but i think the general procedure is:

 cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/netboot
 edit Makefile to say:

  #CPPFLAGS+= -DCOMPAT_OLDBOOT
  #CPPFLAGS+= -DDEBUG
  #CPPFLAGS+= -DNET_DEBUG
  CPPFLAGS+= -DSUPPORT_BOOTP -DSUPPORT_DHCP
  #CPPFLAGS+= -DSUPPORT_TFTP
  CPPFLAGS+= -DSUPPORT_RARP -DSUPPORT_BOOTPARAM
  CPPFLAGS+= -DSUPPORT_NFS -DNFS_NOSYMLINK
  #uncomment if there are problems with memory detection
  #CPPFLAGS+= -DCONSERVATIVE_MEMDETECT

  [...]

  USE_NETIF= 3c509
  (comment out other USE_NETIF's)

  [...]

  I386MISCCPPFLAGS+= -DSUPPORT_SERIAL=CONSDEV_COM1 -DDIRECT_SERIAL \
	-DCONSPEED=9600
  (comment out other I386MISCCPPFLAGS, but be sure to leave the
  I386MISCMAKEFLAGS right below untouched)

 say 'make', and then email netboot.rom to <carton@Ivy.NET>

In case you think this is a weird request, I'll explain.

I want this because I have a diskless Linux box right now, and I've gotten
to the point where I feel, ``You have failed me for the last time, Linux.''
Yes, _diskless Linux,_ with the ROM and everything.  you would not believe...
well, nevermind.

But, it has no floppies or hard disks, so I can't install in the traditional
way.  and, this old box of tinfoil and duct tape is my only PeeCee.

It does have, however, an Etherboot ROM.  Etherboot is a Linux rip-off of an
old BSD netboot source tree, hacked to boot linux ``nbi'' files via TFTP in
only 8kB.  Included in the Etherboot package is contrib/bootblk/bootblk.img,
a 512-byte magical binary that supposedly you can prepend to any ROM image to
make it look like a Linux nbi.  Thus, Etherboot loads netboot via TFTP, and
netboot loads netbsd via NFS.  or so i hope.  Send me a netboot.img so I
can try it out!

--
Miles Nordin / v:1-888-857-2723 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US