Subject: Re: AMD's ``3D Now'' and Mesa/GLX
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/1999 10:18:06
On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 09:22:04PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> As I understand it, the Pentium MMX stuff is integer-based---but it may be
> useful towards the tail-end of the rendering pipeline.  (I gather that
> 3D games like to use MMX, but they may have to do all of their math in
> fixed-point arithmetic, for all I know.)
>
> On the other hand AMD's ``3D Now'' provides hardware support for 3D
> floating point operations (presumably matrix-multiplies are big features).
>
> Does anyone know if there is any intention to support (or if there is any
> existing support) for either of these technologies in Mesa or GLX?  Or are
> they essentially redundant of, and inferior to, hardware in many of these
> newer video cards?
The current Mesa GLX module does already support MMX and 3DNow:

./configure --help
[...]
  --with-mesa-version     specify the version of MesaLib to be used
                          (mesa30, mesa31) [autodetected]
  --with-x86-asm          use x86 assembler instructions [autodetected]
  --with-mmx-asm          use MMX assembler instructions [autodetected]
  --with-3dnow-asm        use 3DNow! assembler instructions [autodetected]
  --with-chipset          specify the chipset for hardware acceleration
                          (mga, tnt) [mga]
[...]

--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.